Skip to main content

Lifers

The thing that pumps birders up, even really experienced birders, is the prospect of seeing a "lifer". A lifer is a term for a bird that you see for the first time. It's a concept I've only ever heard about in birding. Once you finally see that bird you've been searching and waiting around for months, once you finally see that lifer, its place in you changes. You never again feel quite the same way as you do the first time you see a lifer, and there is nothing more exhilarating than seeing a lifer. 

A Greater Painted-Snipe (female)

Since I've been birding for a while now, the concept of seeing a lifer has changed for me. I still remember when I first recognized a Light-vented Bulbul, a very common bird in city parks and school campuses. I felt such excitement, joy, and fulfilment, but now I barely give it a second glance. When I first started birding, seeing lifers was a constant thing, but now it's a rare treat. As you continue birding, seeing lifers gets more and more rare and there comes a time when you might only see one or two a year, if at all. Luckily for me, I haven't reached that stage yet and I typically see 15~20 lifers a year, although we have to make a concerted effort to do so. 

A Plain Prinia, a common bird that was a lifer for me once

Because I've already seen all of Taiwan's endemic species (there are currently 32 endemics, birds that are only present in Taiwan), seeing lifers is mostly restricted to vagrants or other rare migratory birds. What I most enjoy about seeing lifers is mainly the joy and the feeling of accomplishment. After being skunked or bamboozled on numerous trips to find a particular lifer, finally seeing it brings a sense of relief from the long, agonizing wait. 

A Collared Owlet, one of my most satisfying lifers

When I first started birding, my most memorable lifer was probably the Greater Painted Snipe, which I first saw in Jiangjun. We asked many people where we could find one and everyone said something like, "Just go around Jiangjun, and you'll see one for sure." But even after driving around on several trips, the snipe still eluded us. They were actually probably all over, but we didn't know where, when, or how to look for them. After we saw one, though, we got better and better at finding them, and now they are a very common bird for us to see. 

A Chestnut Munia, a surprising lifer

A more recent lifer was the Chestnut Munia. It's not a particularly rare bird, but it isn't very reliable on the west coast where I live. It's much easier to see in the plains of the east coast of Taiwan, but that's hours away. My dad and I have gone looking for it many times on the east coast, but the first time my dad saw it was actually quite by accident at his school here in Tainan. That was the first lifer he saw at his school. I wasn't with him, though, so after he told me the good news, I was left feeling disgruntled and frustrated. Two weeks ago, however, I was practicing my photography skills on a routine trip to Shalun when my dad spotted a group of munias. I first I thought they were just the very common Scaly-breasted Munias that we see all the time, but I was floored when I heard him say, "Isaac, there's a Chestnut Munia in there!" Looking frantically, all I saw were the Scaly-breasted munias and I was afraid I would miss another chance. I searched all around, but didn't see them. Right when I felt there was no hope, a rich chestnut-colored bird popped out of a shrub and sure enough, it was the Chestnut Munia. What pure joy!
A female Mikado Pheasant, my most disappointing lifer

The lifer I am still looking for is a male Mikado's Pheasant. I have gone to Tatajia, Hehuanshan, and Daxueshan, all areas where it is frequently seen, in the hopes of catching a glimpse or maybe even snapping a picture. I have only seen a female once and been skunked every other time. Though I was disappointed at the time, I know that with luck, eventually I will add that lifer to my list. 

Comments

  1. Impressive you've seen all the endemic birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your birding blogs! Good luck with your lifers, your volunteer work, and all the rest of it. Keep feeding your soul,and I'll keep reading about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Hawk-Eagle

    The Mountain Hawk-Eagle is one of the biggest raptors native to Taiwan, and is also one of the rarest and hardest to observe. It's wingspan is a bit small for such a big eagle, which is one of the easiest ways to identify it. A big body with wide wings. The Mountain Hawk-Eagle is not easy to see because it lives only in places with almost no human disruption. It also only comes out to hunt a couple of times a day, so you might not be able to see it even if you are in a suitable habitat. The Mountain Hawk-Eagle is considered very sacred by some indigenous tribes in Taiwan, and the tail feathers of the eagle are used to decorate the headdresses of local tribal leaders. I also consider the Mountain Hawk-Eagle as sacred because I have only met it a couple of times, and it is the bird that started my birding journey. Of the four times I have seen it, three times I saw it in Ali, the place where I first started birding. It is still one of my favorite places to do mountain birdin...

Birding and Me

I usually go birding every chance I have, but in my busy teen schedule, I usually only have a morning or sometimes if I'm lucky, a whole day free. Besides going birding with my dad, if the Tainan Wild Bird Society has any events going on, I almost always participate. For example, me and my dad participate in the New Year Bird Count every year, we help with the Black-faced Spoonbill survey, and other numerous Wetland birding events, and I also volunteer to be a bird guide at a local birding spot sponsored by the Wild Bird Society. One year we focused on submitting as many checklists for a local wetland IBA to help prevent it from becoming a solar farm, which would mean that the Spoon-billed Sandpiper and the Nordmann’s Greenshank would have to find another spot to rest during migration.  Black-faced Spoonbill (with tag) Beside all the events we participate in, me and my dad use eBird every time we go birding, and take very careful counts when we bird. Recently I have started to pay ...

Kenting Raptor Migration

Crested Serpent-Eagle Every October, my family travels south to Kenting (in Pingtung) on the national Day of Taiwan. We visit for the purpose of seeing the breath-taking migration of raptors - thousands upon thousands - journeying to their wintering grounds. Because Taiwan is a key rest stop for birds, there are many places to observe this particular migration.  A kettle of raptors Of all the migrating raptors, the Grey-faced Buzzard and the Chinese Sparrowhawk are the ones that are the most abundant. Hundreds of thousands pass through Taiwan every year. The Grey-faced Buzzard is a medium-sized raptor, with a mouse-gray face, a black-tipped beak, a very obvious throat streak, brownish wings, horizontal streaking in the underbody, and bright orange talons. The Chinese Sparrowhawk on the other hand is much smaller in size, has a blueish-gray back and head, and black-tipped wings. Adults lack a throat streak, whereas juveniles have one. Grey-faced Buzzard This year we had a slight...