Skip to main content

Little Forktail

The Little Forktail is a small black and white bird seen mostly in montane rivers and streams. Its head, back, and wings are black, while the most obvious characteristic is the high and white forehead. It mainly feeds on insect larvae and other small insects. It prefers fast-flowing streams and is often seen near waterfalls.


When I started birding, I always wanted to see the Little Forktail and I pestered my father to bring me to places where it had been reported before. After getting skunked time and time again, the agonizing wait continued. Finally, last year when the whole family went for our yearly New Year’s trip to Ali Village, I finally saw it. One morning, when my dad and I were returning from our usual morning birding stroll, as I was looking far off into space, my dad’s excited shout pulled me back to reality. There on a little waterfall were two cute black and white birds jumping around. I knew immediately what they were, Little Forktails.


I had finally seen them where I least expected to, after years of eager searching. After that, I saw them two more times in the same month, like they had been a part of my usual birding checklists all along. It is usually like this in my birding adventures; after waiting for a long time, I finally see my dream bird, and suddenly it’s like it’s everywhere.


What I love about the Little Forktail is that it is super cute and full of energy, but really, I love all river birds, maybe because I see them in places of undeveloped places of spectacular beauty. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Hawk-Eagle

    The Mountain Hawk-Eagle is one of the biggest raptors native to Taiwan, and is also one of the rarest and hardest to observe. It's wingspan is a bit small for such a big eagle, which is one of the easiest ways to identify it. A big body with wide wings. The Mountain Hawk-Eagle is not easy to see because it lives only in places with almost no human disruption. It also only comes out to hunt a couple of times a day, so you might not be able to see it even if you are in a suitable habitat. The Mountain Hawk-Eagle is considered very sacred by some indigenous tribes in Taiwan, and the tail feathers of the eagle are used to decorate the headdresses of local tribal leaders. I also consider the Mountain Hawk-Eagle as sacred because I have only met it a couple of times, and it is the bird that started my birding journey. Of the four times I have seen it, three times I saw it in Ali, the place where I first started birding. It is still one of my favorite places to do mountain birdin...

Birding and Me

I usually go birding every chance I have, but in my busy teen schedule, I usually only have a morning or sometimes if I'm lucky, a whole day free. Besides going birding with my dad, if the Tainan Wild Bird Society has any events going on, I almost always participate. For example, me and my dad participate in the New Year Bird Count every year, we help with the Black-faced Spoonbill survey, and other numerous Wetland birding events, and I also volunteer to be a bird guide at a local birding spot sponsored by the Wild Bird Society. One year we focused on submitting as many checklists for a local wetland IBA to help prevent it from becoming a solar farm, which would mean that the Spoon-billed Sandpiper and the Nordmann’s Greenshank would have to find another spot to rest during migration.  Black-faced Spoonbill (with tag) Beside all the events we participate in, me and my dad use eBird every time we go birding, and take very careful counts when we bird. Recently I have started to pay ...

Kenting Raptor Migration

Crested Serpent-Eagle Every October, my family travels south to Kenting (in Pingtung) on the national Day of Taiwan. We visit for the purpose of seeing the breath-taking migration of raptors - thousands upon thousands - journeying to their wintering grounds. Because Taiwan is a key rest stop for birds, there are many places to observe this particular migration.  A kettle of raptors Of all the migrating raptors, the Grey-faced Buzzard and the Chinese Sparrowhawk are the ones that are the most abundant. Hundreds of thousands pass through Taiwan every year. The Grey-faced Buzzard is a medium-sized raptor, with a mouse-gray face, a black-tipped beak, a very obvious throat streak, brownish wings, horizontal streaking in the underbody, and bright orange talons. The Chinese Sparrowhawk on the other hand is much smaller in size, has a blueish-gray back and head, and black-tipped wings. Adults lack a throat streak, whereas juveniles have one. Grey-faced Buzzard This year we had a slight...